Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

Car wont start after removing inlet and egr to clean soot…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, car wont...

Hi Pearl, car wont start after removing inlet and egr to clean soot issue. Disconnected fuel lines too0. Have bleed fuel system and no start. Starts on aero start.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Its a Diesel, and has half tank

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Great wall v200 2011 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vehicle was running with little to no power. Would accelerate very slowly then come on to a slow boost. I removed the EGR and identified the foot valve was broken and it was well carboned up for it to work. I cleaned the egr and found roller cam inside has lost its plastic bush on EGR foot mechanism. cleaned and greased that and bench testes EGR motor and works. Cleaned inlet manifold and re fitted. Connected up fuel lines, bled system. no start.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since that I have checked fuses, all good
I have 11.87v at glow plugs
I have removed glow plugs and bench tested, all glow when 12v applied.
I have check injector signal with my noid, getting injector signal when cranking
It runs with a shot of aero start
Have compression and timing as it runs on Aero start.
No codes logged.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st check that the injectors are being opened during cranking

if you spin it over and then remove a glow plug is the plug damp with fuel?

If this is OK then check that the injectors are being operated by the ECU, its hard to hear them ‘clicking’ with back ground noise so if you use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

if this is all OK then I'd consider making up an EGR blanking plate from aluminium sheet and clamping it between the valve and manifold for a quick test - although some folks drill a 3mm hole in the plate and leave it in place

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer