Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Temp guage risen to top and limped home. Lifted bonnet and…

Customer Question
Temp guage risen to...

Temp guage risen to top and limped home. Lifted bonnet and fan not running. All belts still in place possible electrical fault the cause or the thermostat?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

All belts still working but it would appear the electric fan not rotating. It's free wheels by hand

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Mitsubishi Triton 4x4.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mitsubishi?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes hopefully as we are going to Margaret River tomorrow from Geraldton

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Apparently the fan is running when the engine is running. But not when off. No fluid has been lost so I'm thinking the themostat as the cause

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
In hind sight the A/C did not as well as normal yesterday after a 150k drive.
1/4/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

First thing to check is there is not debris between the condenser and the radiator core.

Then possibly the thermostat is not functioning correctly.

The A/C inefficient at the same time would be the ecm disabling it because of an overheating condition.

How many kms on the triton now?

Gary

152 km.
What's an ECM

The ecm is the engine control module (engine computer).

Do you have a spare parts nearby you get a thermostat from?

Gary

As you may have guessed I'm on holiday from the uk using my step sons car. He's at work today until 2200 hrs and Im trying to find a solution. I have a sneaky feeling it my be a temp sensor as the electric fan did not continue after switching the engine off.. Normally when hot it continues to run until a certain temp has been achieved.
The radiator was cool when I Removed the radiator cap but the pressure was such that coolant came out of the header tank pressure valve.
there is a main dealer here in Geraldton for parts plus auto shops

It sounds like it could be a temp sensor or thermostat.

If you have a Mitsubishi dealer nearby, it would be worth them having a look at it.

Can you do this tomorrow, and you should be on the road a bit faster?

Gary

Hello again,,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Gary