Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 Dodge Journey, steering wheel controls not working. We…

Customer Question
2010 Dodge Journey...

2010 Dodge Journey , steering wheel controls not working. We have had this from new

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

No other issues

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Most likely, the agent in NZL is rubbish

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
1/4/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

Most likely the SCM, steering wheel control module needs to be tested ,

2010 Dodge or Ram Truck Journey AWD V6-3.5L

Save Article

STEERING CONTROL MODULE WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment. The hard wired circuits between components related to the Steering Control Module (SCM) may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds. However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the SCM or the electronic controls or communication between modules and other devices that provide some features of the SCM.

The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the SCM or the electronic controls and communication related to SCM operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

testing of the steering wheel switch ,this the switch terminal pin out

click on link to view

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

Hi Chad,
It is the steering wheel controls NOT the column mounted controls. IE the Horn , navigation, temperature, stereo controls that are not working.
Turn signals , wipers and cruse control are all ok.
Someone has mentioned the "clock spring" is at fault.
do you have anything further ?
Cheers Mike

ok sorry i see, i looked it up again and there is a tsb on faulty clock spring for these symptoms

RR procedure for clock spring and steering wheel removal

Hope that helps Mike

you are welcome

Please let me know if you need anything else

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat