Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to replace thr rear wheel bearings, Its a ve

Customer Question
I need to replace...

I need to replace thr rear wheel bearings

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your car. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Its a ve commodore sedan 2009 model v6

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Can i replace the whole rear hub and bearing assembly or do i need to get the old ones pressed off.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Rear wheel bearings on a VE are are press to disassemble and reassemble.

You can knock out the drive hub by hand if you know what you are doing, but you MUST use a press for reassembly.

I've done many rears, fronts are easy.

Gary

Cant you buy the hub and bearing already pressed on as a complete unit ?

The bearing is pressed into the knuckle from the inside, then a circlip retains it.

The outsde hub presses into the bearing from the outside.

The driveshaft goes through the hub/bearing and is retained with a nut torqued to 425nm.

There is also a special tool to push the driveshaft out, since they tend to corrode in the splines.

The rear is labour intensive job, with an inexpensive bearing.

The front is easy with an expensive sealed hub/bearing.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assist to you.

Kind regards.

Gary