Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

Old Isuzu Bighorn wont start. Intermittent. Starter relay…

Customer Question
Old Isuzu Bighorn wont...

Old Isuzu Bighorn wont start. Intermittent . Starter relay 'clicks' rather than sending juice to starter. Battery is OK as are leads. Positive to starter is well attached and I cleaned the earth from starter motor plus attached another negative to chassis.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

243 k. It usually starts well if we follow the sequence of allowing glow plugs to heat and add time for the starter relay to make an audible click. Recently it has only produced a louder click from the relay area and there is absolutely no cranking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Isuzu?

Bighorn 1993

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Some things I can fix myself. Some things I would prefer to avoid. Swapping out the starter motor for eg. I mostly need help to get a good diagnosis and avoid replacing the wrong hardware.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this an enthusiast based forum or a pay for advice service. I know there are some pretty clued up truck owners out there. The promptness of your reply makes me think the latter ? :) Cheers Pearl

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Car
1/2/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the starter relay was not replaced it is very possible the contacts in the relay are worn and the relay itself needs to be replaced for this issue here.I have seen several starter relay failures in the past before cause this issue with the relay needs replaced.If this was already replaced or tested let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician