Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

I have a 1302 VW Beetle just rebuilt the engine and

Customer Question
I have a 1302...

I have a 1302 VW Beetle just rebuilt the engine and reinstalled it, but it won't fire up, any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

It's a 1971, been around the clock more than once and it's a manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. It has spark and fuel, but won't fire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine is turning over slowly, but it simple won't fire up.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Car
12/31/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, have you double checked the spark plug wires for correct firing order and also have you verified the rotor is pointing to #1 in the cap when #1 cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just double checked with tdc and rotor is pointing to number 1 and valves are correct and have static timed the dist.

Thanks, ***** ***** mention it was turning slowly, there's a possibility it's not turning fast enough to build sufficient compression. Have you checked compression yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cant check compression, dont have a gauge. Have tried a good battery out of a working vehicle and it still turns slowly. Fuel pump dosent want to pump fuel up to carb. Have filled the carb tank with fuel and tried putting fuel in the carb but wont fire.Think the slow turn over could be a big problem, but not over tight when hand cranked, but tight.

I agree that the slow turn is a big issue here. In the past I have used two batteries to start tight engines and also have resorted to pull starting it in 4th gear. If you know the valve adjustment and bearing clearances are correct those are the next things I would try to crank it.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician