Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Mazda atenza 2003 refusing to idle! It used to be once it…

Customer Question
Mazda atenza 2003 refusing...

Mazda atenza 2003 refusing to idle! It used to be once it was warm it would be fine but now its stalling each time I take my foot off the pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

No check engine light comes on but the cars 'computer voice' does say something of which I can't understand! Also it now cuts out when trying to idle and sometimes when I'm driving!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's a Mazda Atenza so I think it's a Mazda 6. Also I've only just purchased the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, it has been sitting a while in someone's backyard. I had to reregister it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 day by:
12/31/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could cause your issue. If it appears to run normally off idle and just won't continue to run without adding throttle then odds are the issue is with the idle air control motor. The IAC is what lets air into the engine when the throttle is closed, if it isn't opening as it should be then it can die with the throttle closed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.