Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 Nissan Navara D21. When I start the vehicle it…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi I...

Second opinion] Hi I have a 1997 Nissan Navara D21. When I start the vehicle it struggles to start and when it does it only idles rough for 5 seconds and then cuts out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. I have replaced the pump in the fuel tank, however the pump that was replaced is not the exact same as the original. I checked the the fuel line all the way to the what I think is the fuel regulator that is in place before the carburettor and there is fuel being pumped through. I have not the the carby.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sorry, my comment should be I have not touched the carby. No thats all.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 day by:
12/23/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on. You could have a fuel quality or fuel delivery issue, it may be an exhaust restriction, an ignition system issue, even the engine controller itself. It's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is going on.

You have a 2.4 engine, correct?

Has fuel pressure been tested with a gauge?