Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a pajero 2000 with a 4m41 3.2 did engine. it began to…

Customer Question
I have a pajero...

I have a pajero 2000 with a 4m41 3.2 did engine. it began to have random idling problems and then cut out sometimes at high speed (100km) the engine would just stop. I stop, switch off and immediately back on and the engine springs back into life. I've had the fuel filter/oil filters etc replaced and they tried to look at engine codes and got back 12-49 which relates to Boost pressure which my engine doesn't have. EGR valve has been removed and de-gunked... any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External one

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pajero yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had it had the garage, they tried to put it on their computer but it wouldn't talk- just threw up those codes. I'm trying to clean everything in the hope that it's a loose wire- my next thoughts were to take off the diesel tank and see if it's got loose material. Would floating debris cause an instant cut out?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/21/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If there's issues with the high pressure pump then yes it could suddenly cut out , but from your description I'd sya this sounds like either a bad air leak or an electrical issue

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propaneor brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open up as things expand with temperature so depending on how the leak occurs ( on a hose joint with a clamp expansion will help seal and on a vacuum hose expansion will make a leak worse) so leaks can be better or worse as the engine heats up.
1 vacuum leak path that you won't find with the above test is if the brake servo is leaking

so try clamping off servo hose to see if this has any effect

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth cleaning out the idle speed control motor / valve as these get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

It’s also worth cleaning the MAF sensor wires, as they can get coated with dirt over time which then offsets the reading
Use some contact cleaner or brake cleaner to spray onto the wires to remove the dirt – on no account touch the wires with anything as they are very fragile

Curtis
Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic