Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

The keypad which has new batreries will not unlocks the

Customer Question
The keypad which has...

The keypad which has new batreries will not unlocks the doors or turn off the immobilizer to be able to start the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are all fine, new car battery also. Car starts but shuts off because cannot deactivate the immobilizer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1996 grand jeep cheroke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery in key remote but it still doesn't work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all there is

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/19/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

Have you tried a master reset after installing new battery ,if the anti theft system seen a low or no voltage condition it will trigger on or if locks not working, door switches, hood ,trunk etc , to many parts to guess at it

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

if that does not work ,You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot
and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

The battery was replaced approximately 2 months ago so that is mot the issue. Vehicle has started multiple times daily since then. Have tried your disconnect the battery, hold leads together and wait option this has not worked. I have 2 keyless entry fobs, both with new batteries and neither of them will either unlock any doors or deactivate the immobilizer. Obviously a much more technical issue is the problem. I was hoping for a quick fix to deactivate the immobilizer so I can get the vehicle home or to a service center.

I understand You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot

i m sorry or it will be a guess and we end up throwing parts at it

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat