Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I need help to fix my van. Ford transit 2005. I m fixing the…

Customer Question
I need help to...

I need help to fix my van

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Ford transit 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i m fixing the van by my self

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The van does not want to start and i suspect the injector pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

It s not not from the battery

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/19/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.
Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

hi matt
i suspect the common rail injector pump because it spins very easy when i turn it by hand and what i did , i replace temporary the fuel pipe supply from the fuel filter to the pump by a clear one and i could see just very small amount of fuel coming and from time to time the pump became hard for just a a few second and suddenly i feel like it spin like a water pump , is it normal for a common rail pump ?

Hello

the common rail pump shouldn't turn that easy by hand so I'd agree either there's a fault with it so its not developing any pressure

or its not getting enough fuel from the lift pump in the tank

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Matt, Engineer