Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have just purchased a 1998 Toyota Corolla in excellent…

Customer Question
Hi, I have just...

Hi, I have just purchased a 1998 Toyota Corolla in excellent condition. I currently have a 1996 one and I love it, but it has 500,000, so when I found this new one with only 91,000 I purchased it for about $4500. It is like a new car even though it is nearly 20 years old. The only issue I have is that when you stop the car and leave it unlocked for more than a few minutes, it will not start again with the keys. You have to press the little black button thing before a key will work. Apparently it is the car's security system (immoboliser) doing this. I don't like this system as what happens when the little black button thing stops working or I loose it. I actually would like the immobiliser disconnected. Is there a way I can do this? Regards Susan

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No, I don't think thats the problem as when I turn the key all the lights come on, it just doesn't turn over. Then if I press the black button thing, I can start it. So it would not be the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

We went into a Toyota dealer today and they told us to start the car and leave it running for 30 minutes and this will disconnect the security system. But that did not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that covers it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/18/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi my name is Jay

If this is an aftermarket alarm system then it can be removed by most any mechanic and then you will not have problem starting car. In the mean time if you hold the button in and then turn on the key to on position and wait for 8 seconds and then release button should put system in valet mode until you can have it removed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hi, I have just tried what you said and it didn't work. The security light came back on after 1 minute. Also, the system was installed as part of the original car and was not added aftermarket.

Was the system added by the dealer when new before delivery or is it a factory system?

Could you please ensure that I was only billed once from your company. I seem to have several emails from you and I am worried that I will be charged more than once.

You will need to contact customer support to have one closed.

Factory system.

Then you will have to have the dealer repair the system since it cannot be disabled or removed.

I have never seen a factory alarm system have a small black button and all of these were aftermarket that I have seen.

So you cannot help me. Are you a Toyota specialist like your add states. Anyone I have asked who knows Toyotas knows that this model has this security system. Your add states that 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Unfortunately I am not 100% satisfied with the service I have been given, so please ensure that my credit card is not deducted any money. Thank you. Susan *****