Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I had a dead battery in my 2004 SL500 and replaced it. All…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I had...

Hi Pearl. I had a dead battery in my 2004 SL500 and replaced it. All errors cleared except one that has a battery symbol and a "visit workshop" message. The car is also stuck in Park. I've checked the voltage at both batteries and it appears as tho there is low voltage at both so I'm suspecting the alternator is not outputting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Haven't changed an alternator before on a SL500. Again - I'm suspecting that the voltage regulator could be dead. I guess I'm going to have to pull it out and get it tested..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing the man battery (not the cranking battery) and testing the voltage at the battery terminals with the car running.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/18/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually, it is the alternator at fault with both batteries having low voltage, In most cases, it is the voltage regulator at the back of it needing replaced.In some cases, all that is needed is to disconnect the batteries and loosen and tilt the alternator to gain access to the back of it to then remove the cover and then the voltage regulator to replace it.If the fault continues after it is replaced then the alternator has lost its pull to charge and needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?