Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

Have a p0238 code believe it relates to Turbo, can you

Customer Question
Have a p0238 code...

Have a p0238 code believe it relates to Turbo, can you please provide some clarity around that, in laymans terms.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0238, tried disconnecting the battery, the engine light went away put came back.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

The car is a 2007 c70 volvo, turbo has just been rebuilt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, has been professionally fixed about 3 mths ago

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/12/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

that code = Turbocharger / supercharger boost sensor circuit A high

this basically means the ECU thinks the turbo is making too much boost pressure and it can be for a few reasons

as the turbo has just been rebuilt I'm going to assume that the wastegate actuator ( the cylinder with a rod poking out of it) on the side of the turbo was also replaced. as this is the main method of boost control

the next thing to check is if the small rubber hose that runs from the top of the wastegate actuator to a control solenoid is intact and not blocked or leaking

and if thats OK then also check that the dump valve is opening

The dump valve is on the turbo boost air (post compressor) side its there to blow off or 'dump' the excess boost pressure you get when you close the throttle ( like just before a gear change)
the important thing with a dump valve is that it seals properly when its not being operated if the valve has a torn seal or a broken spring then it'll blow off before it should and you'll lose boost pressure

this video shows how you can test it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRaGg06m7s

as for the wastegate then this is on the exhaust side and 1st thing to check is if the wastegate 'penny' or flap can be fully seated
if you remove the wastegate actuator and then look inside the turbo exit you'll see the wastegate penny moving back and forth as you move its arm if you smear a little grease or engineers blue onto the face of the penny and snap it shut and reopen it you shoudl hopefully see the seal line all around the penny

if thats OK you can then test the wastegate actuator with compressed air to check its opening up this shows if its going to be able to control boost
this video shows how ( from about 2 mins in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=178&v=NN1Hs3L0YYc

finally this fault can also be a faulty MAF sensor (located on the air intake pipe just after the filter box)

So its worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

It’s also worth cleaning the MAF sensor wires, as they can get coated with dirt over time which then offsets the reading
Use some contact cleaner or brake cleaner to spray onto the wires to remove the dirt – on no account touch the wires with anything as they are very fragile

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer