Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I've just bought a second hand Volvo and there does not

Customer Question
Hi, I've just bought...

Hi, I've just bought a second hand Volvo and there does not appear to be any sounds coming from the speakers

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

V50/2008 also, if I try to preset a station, the display only comes on for about 2 seconds, same when i try to set the clock

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Station?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've just tried to set a radio station to one that I know works.. ie. 104.3 FM here in Melbourne, Australia and it would not let me do that

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

It comes with the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it i think

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/11/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the radio is operating properly but the only issue is no sound this is usually due to a fault with the sound amplifier itself.Most models use a sound amplifier and this amplifier can fail causing this issue here with it needing replaced.You would need to have this tested further to be sure but this does sound to be the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Basically what happens is that the radio comes on, and then goes off again. The same when I want to preset a channel, the screen comes on, then disappears before I can make a choice. This also when happens when trying to set the clock. The display does not go off completely though, ie. fan and temperature indicators keep being displayed.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline when you replied last night.

What needs to be done is to have a fully compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.

This sounds to be a fault with the radio assembly itself.I did a search and no bulletins come up for this fault on your model here for this issue.But I have seen the radio assembly act up like this with it needing replaced to resolve this fault.When it is replaced it usually needs programmed or coded to operate in your vehicle.You will want to have the electrical power and ground signals tested at the radio as well to make sure this is the cause as well as the codes checked in it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?