Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Transit VJ with ASM transmission. The…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Ford Transit VJ with ASM transmission. The other day it failed. When I select Drive it goes into gear and jumps out after about 1 meter. The auto light is flashing on the dash. A mechanic has had the computer on it and he says the that computer shows it in gear when it has actually jumped out. What is happening

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No. Could it be that simple. Noting spectacular happened like a gear box crashing. When I pulled up the night before it did seem different with the locking procedure from the key. In the morning it would not even engage the battery to start until after I had locked and unlocked the vehicle with the key several times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have it with a Mechanic who has plugged the diagnostic computer into it. He is suggesting it may be the oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There was a period the day before when It was going up a steep hill when it failed to kick down to a lower gear. There was no slippage in the transmission that I was aware of. After that incident it drove OK for a couple of KMs until I parked for the night.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 5 days by:
12/11/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This may be due to a fault with the transmission range sensor/neutral safety switch sending a false signal causing this issue here.I have seen this occur before in the past causing this type of fault on some models before.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete I have forwarded this to my mechanic,***** *****

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

PeteI am not able to rate you yet. The mechanic I had the vehicle with did not think it was the sensor/neutral safety switch. He thinks it is more complex than that and beyond his ability and equipment capabilities. I have since had the vehicle relocated to the Ford Dealership who should have more accurate diagnostic equipment. They can not look at it until net Thursday.***** *****

No problem Brian.

It may be a more in-depth mechanical fault as well inside the transmission.This will take further inspection to be able to locate and repair this issue here.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

PeteThank you for your concern. The Ford agent is now got the vehicle in a yard while they a waiting to assign a mechanic to do the diagnostics. I will let you know what they come up with.***** *****

Your welcome

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete