Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

05 Lancer battery goes flat overnight randomly. Killed our…

Customer Question
05 Lancer battery goes flat...
05 Lancer battery goes flat overnight randomly. Killed our old battery, so we purchased a new one about 4 months ago. There was a recall to replace the headlamp circuit board. After this repair, no problems for 3 months. The problem has returned, so we take it to the dealer. They said nothing was wrong. The battery was flat this morning. In the meantime, I have put an ammeter on and monitored. When the engine is first turned off, there is about 330milliamp draw, then after a short time, it drops to about 7 milliamps.This appears to be a random problem. I've struggled to find it when there is a significant power draw. I have noticed when the battery is dead, and I hook up a charger that I can hear what sounds like the ABS hydraulic switch motor running, but it stops before I can be sure.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Car
12/5/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi how can I help you with this? what was your question specifically?

I'm looking for ideas about random current draw from the battery. Today, I took the +12V field coil wire off the alternator, because I thought the rectifier diodes inside the alternator might be leaking. That was not the problem, since zero current was flowing. When the diodes are blocking there is no drain flow through the alternator. Also I've checked the charging system, cleaned the battery terminals, in case the battery was not receiving a full charge. When the engine is running I measure 14.7 volts, and when I shut the engine down the battery shows approximately 13.8 volts.Still, I have been taking the negative battery terminal off every time I stop, because some current leakage drains the battery. Today, I caught 5.53 amps draw from the battery when the car was off. I was beginning to unplug each fuse one at a time, and my wife opened the car door, and the current went down to 225 milliamps, then when she shut the door, down to about 5 milliamps. So the car and I are playing cat and mouse, since I rarely catch any current draw from the battery.
Hi Steve, I already paid the $38, the website asked me to pay again?
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the battery load tests good yet is dying while the vehicle is at rest then you definitely have a raw. If the problem is intermittent it will be much harder to find because the draw has to be present at the time of testing to be able to find it. Any component which receives constant battery power can cause a draw - the radio, modules, the alternator, and if you have an aftermarket amplifier that could be the cause.

If you're unable to catch the problem happening in order to test then you could try removing fuses when parking the car and see if the problem goes away with a certain fuse removed and then concentrate on components on that circuit. You could work your way through the fuse box a few at a time. You could also remove the alternator positive cable and isolate it while parked and see if the problem goes away.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.