Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 T6 Volvo electronic problem associated with the

Customer Question
Hi 2005...

Hi 2005 T6 Volvo electronic problem associated with the Transmission I beleive Yes it had all the slipping matters occuring but we reset all codes and it drove like Rolls royce , slowly all the slipping loosing position occured again , if I acclerate leave my foot down its fine the second I lift my foot it is lost ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?

Ill try it when I get it back It failed I drove it for 496 klms slowed down to turn a corner and it refused to change up through gears it had 1st and reverse ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Volvo?

XC 90 T6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC 90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only Observing and being careful ? its apparent it will change up through all gears smoothly if I do not lift my foot off the pedal BUT as soon as I do Its lost cant work out what gear it is in and appears to slip until I grab it in manual and trick it to drive again , of course some times it goes into Limp mode then I stop it switch it off and it resets again and Im back to feeling it drive up through gears smothly until I lift my foot ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I just beleive its a eloctronic matter but I read the GM boxes are rubbish failing I beleive it is a TCM matter possibly

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
It has 176 ,000 klms on it Yes the oil smells burned but I beleive it is due to the spooling and losing where it is between gears , It also did a new trick after a long drive and refused to change up through gears but I had 1st and reverse
12/4/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This does sound to be an electronic fault since it does reset when you cycle the key off and on or clear any codes set.What needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set when the fault occurs.Then any codes set will help to diagnose and repair this issue here.

I have seen the transmission pressure control solenoid act up intermittently causing this issue.In some cases it is just debris build up in the transmission valve body that causes this and having a transmission flush performed will help clear up and repair this fault.

The first thing to do is read out all codes and any codes set need diagnosed to repair the fault.If no codes are set then perform a transmission service/flush to remove any debris to see if it resolves the fault.If this does not work then the solenoids and valve body needs to be tested to locate which is the cause needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete I ignored all the typical comments as they sound mechanical This TCM module I hear about is that responsible for keepint track of where a gear is and a throttle position , does a throttle sensor position dictate gear changes if so is that why if you turn it off start it keep your foot down not move it , its changes well Until I take my foot off Then it is lost slips cant change doesnt know where it is ?
Second matter is it slowed down changed back into 1 st gear and held itself there but I could select reverse with not delays ?as your the expert what fault codes will I expect I believe one fault code was 09 ?

You should see fault codes starting with the letter P and need read out with a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your vehicle.Any P codes set will help to diagnose and locate the fault here.

The TCM does monitor and operate transmission components and can also set fault codes needing checked with a fully compatible scan tool.It can, in fact, be the cause if it is intermittently acting up internally.The throttle position sensor does aid in operating the transmission properly but if the engine revs up and down properly when this issue occurs then the throttle position sensor is not the cause.If the engine speed does not respond to the throttle properly and it does not rev up or down with throttle apply and release when and when the issue is not occurring then the throttle position sensor can be the cause needing replaced.

This sounds like a possible issue with debris in the valve body or the pressure control solenoid in the valve body.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

PeteInteresting 1/. I can clear a limp mode by switching off the key while driving in a straight line , then accelerate cleanly , UNTIL i remove my foot or change the throttle position Then applying accelerator it is lost slipping then starts but only immediately after I lift my foot , It appears lost confused and if I push my foot down harder it appears to build up pressure But then jumps into a gear , Is it possible that a change in throttle position ( lifting off the pressure on the pedal start all of this ) yes I can see it becomes confused and hunts about for a gear the matter of driving for almost 500 klms slowing down to turn a corner and loosing its ability to change through gears was unusual , again it was after I changed position on the throttle ?

Changing position in throttle lowers and raises transmission fluid pressure and a failing pressure control solenoid will cause this issue here when you cycle the key off and on or accelerate and decelerate.If the engine speed itself is actually revving up and down with throttle apply and release when the issue occurs but the transmission feels like it is slipping this won't be the throttle position sensor at fault.If it was usually the throttle would fluctuate or there would be no acceleration when your foot is applied.

This sounds more to me like a pressure control solenoid fault in the valve body or debris in the valve body.

Thanks Pete

Pete let me write this carefully I start the car yes there is a warning service transmission ignoring this I can accelerate cleanly through 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 gear , smooth clean ( I understand the change from 1 st to 2nd gear is a setting as it can jump hard sometimes But if I do not change the position of my foot it drives well holds gear 4 perfectly UNTIL I lift my foot slightly only then it occurs and Im talking possibly only a loss of 200 to 500 RPM the second I put my foot back down to feel it pull in 4 th gear it is lost confused and appears to be between 3rd and 4th , can you explain how It drove perfectly for hundred of klms in a straight line until I lifted my foot completely then locked itself in to 1 st gear ?
Interestingly driving it on a open road turning off the key turning it back on in neutral placing it in drive gives me exact clean positive power again ? while Im accelerating all this talk of rubbish GM boxers doesnt make a lot of sense is this a electonic control matter and what drives this process ?in normal drive selection

O.k., if it does feel like it is confused on shifting between 3 and 4 when you re apply your foot this itself can be an indication of a failing throttle position sensor.If the sensor is sending a false signal when you release then re-apply throttle this can occur with this sensor at fault.

The only way to know for sure is:

Have the fault codes checked and any codes set will need diagnosed ( you can post the codes here if you want as well)

Have the throttle position sensor data signals observed on a scan tool or computers data list while driving to see if it is, in fact, sending a false signal needing replaced

Have the transmission pressure tested with the correct transmission pressure test gauge when the issue occurs to see if there is a loss of pressure on throttle release and apply?If there is a loss of pressure and the throttle position sensor signal is o.k. then this can indicate debris in the valve body or the pressure control solenoid at fault.

Thanks Pete

Pete Ok My opinion is as follows the auto is controlled by throttle position this position is fedd into a TCM module when we cleared all fault codes one evening I could not beleive how smooth the car drove for 24 hrs This TCM module I beleive relearns change patterns those patterns appear to be identical when it looses a gear selection , is that gear selection driven by solenoids and of course a pressure within the transmission that over rides electronics , it certainly appears it can hold full power being developed until I lift my foot , it certainly reset on a open road clearing a limp mode where it holds the box in 3 rd gear the second I turn a key off and on in neutral at any speed Did Volvo organise the smooth change ability and driveababilty around the electronics to make them a smooth changing box and does that explain why when changing between 1 to 2nd the pressure felt as a hard bang suggests what ever is changing the gear selection is violent and tearing boxes apart , in closing I think after discussion I agree with you to a degree BUT with a instrumentation back ground this electronic control is confusing the box as hydraulic pressure obviously drop s off and the box needs to know it should stay in the gear last seen that gear being 4th , if it did would all this slipping I read about actually occur remembering I can turn a key off a key while driving and pop it back into drive at 80 klms and feel it perfectly pull away again ? could this explain why so many people after a box change experience failures relating to a symptom described as slipping it appears some slip down low taking off Mine is always after it has reached 4th gear and I lift my foot so lightly ? Ill rest all the codes take notice and get back to you , Ok it could be as you say a valve body But turn a key off while driving pop it back into drive and its off like falsh again pulling like a freight train ?
I just hope all the spooling and build up of pump pressure while its lost hasnt destroyed it ?

The gear selection/apply is held and operated by a pressure control solenoid as well as shift solenoids in the valve body which then also allows the valve body to operate properly.The hard gear changing as well as smooth changing is operated by pressure from the pressure control solenoid.So if the solenoid is acting up you may see where it shifts o.k. or smooth and then hard shifts.The throttle position sensor can also cause this if it sends a false signal that maybe the throttle is applied hard or heavy it will cause hard shifts or shift between gear issues.

I don't see this damaging the transmission unless you continue to drive it like this here for an extended time. ( usually months).

But it does sound like one of these can be the cause here.

Thanks Pete

Ok Pete now with all said and done is this oil problem ? as I do know I can roll down a road at 80 Klms tunr off a key turn the engine back on pop it back into drive and It pulls , meaning the automatic oil system has lost all pressure comes alive and when asked to drive it jumps back immediately and perfectly I have to wonder how many automatics were changed thrown out only to read within 20,000 Klms so people explained slipping and failing to drive was experienced many failed again , as mine has done 176 ,000 klms I understand GM built a box but Volvo organised the shift patterns and brain driving that box linked into position of throttle and load on a engine to keep changes smooth as possible always ? Im aware I can trick it out of being lost within 5 seconds knowing Oil pressure has dropped but it drives hard without slipping until I lift my foot , then all hell start again Interestingly on a steady slow climb one night up a hill of probably 20 klms in Cruise it changed from over drive gear back to third smoothly while it was under a constant load , in this instance is a foot throttle position ignored ? Thanks Id be interested in your thought about that fact I felt when In cruise and pulling that box worked beautifully

This won't be due to a lack of oil.Pressure control solenoid or throttle position sensor seems most likely here.You really would need to have codes checked and the pressure tested for pressure drop and throttle position sensor signal tested to see if it is losing signal or jumpy when your foot is applied at a steady apply to see if the throttle position sensor is the cause or an issue with the pressure control solenoid in the valve body itself.

Thanks Pete

Before I go I imagine the Volvo engineers worked very hard to make a tough box change smoothly , lest admit it a GM box is a tough box by all accounts My question is this TCM module that has a lot of inputs sensing things such as vacuum in a engine ( when in cruise ) ? heat , speed on a road all linked into making a volvo change a tough Gm box smoothly always and remembering its done 176,000 klms how does the average mechanic know where to start , where can I go to understand how many sensors affect this changing ability on a volvo and then check and test each of them for function or intermittent faults , having a PLC back ground i cannot begin to imagine how complex the software was to control a hard tough GM box and make it smooth as hell , It appears it was tough enough to tear itself apart so often Thanks
Lets hope it didn't cook it slef while lost in gears always and a revs up around 3 to 4000 at times Id imagine there would be a lot of oil pressure to unload when it found a gear to make it drive again
Comment if you like Ill do a reset again and try work out what sensor is driving this and try experience it perfect again for 24 hours
ps in Cruise what drives the box when under load ? up a hill for 20 Klms Pete ?

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Quiet simple Pete in Cruise when a volvo steadily pulls it can change perfectly from over drive to 3 rd gear time after time for 20 klms , then ask it to respond to a throttle position and its lost completely battling to know where it is causing all hell inside a box resulting in I guess incredible build up of heat while oil pumps in a box are in fact dead headed waiting for gear to drive , would this explain the screaming after a engine is applying power when you want to drive again , when in cruise what really controls it ability to steadily pull ???? and act like a pig seconds after when cruise is off ? I wonder Peter please throw it out to all those who may never have coasted down a road turning off a ignition selecting Drive again and feeling it drive perfectly even with that silly message in a dash glowing about a serious fault in a transmission Cheers and thankyou I hope to understand how incredibly smart engineers collect all the infor to make thes cars drive so beautifully even with GM box so many destroyed . Gerald from Australia with a very confused XC 90 2005
List input please feeding into the TCM Ill start working from there Thanks Pete I imagine vacumm is one important one after feeling it drive beautifully in cruise Good night
Pete, Technician