Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Holden Epica, Check engine light is on and can only…

Customer Question
Second opinion] 2008 Holden Epica...
Second opinion] 2008 Holden Epica, Check engine light is on and can only drive 2nd gear (automatic) can drive in other gears just really slow. Winter light is also flashing. What are some troubleshooting I can do before I take it to the mechanic?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/30/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.

If there are issues with engine noise which is keeping you driving in second gear or driving slow this can be the timing components at fault causing this issue needing checked into and repaired.If the noise is from the engine area.

If the noise is from the transmission/gearbox area this can be an internal mechanical fault in the transmission possibly with bearings that are failing or gear issues.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do here has the fault codes checked to help locate the cause this way you can be sure of what needs to be repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete