Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 clk500. I turn the key, nothing happens.... no crank,

Customer Question
2005 clk500. I turn...

2005 clk500. I turn the key, nothing happens.... no crank, nothing. Dash lights and headlights work perfect, battery is fully charged, it is like I am trying to start it in gear? It is an auto and I have tried starting it in both park and neutral. But you turn the key and ...... nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No, I got the car last night and it drove home perfectly. I parked it on the street and when I went to start it ten minutes later.... nothing. What fuses may have blown?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CLK500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing as of yet, just googling problem to diagnose

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yep, the person I bought the car off gave me a receipt for recent work that states Job description: Not changing gear correctly, No CAN communication with shifter, gear shifter module required / replaced ECU. Could this somehow be connected???

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Can it be as simple as where the key goes, the EMS or ECU
Sorry, ESM not EMS
Tried jumping, no difference, nothing at all, all electrics work perfect. Battery read is good. 17.6
Sorry, should read 12.6 not 17.6

hello

yes if the dash isn't lighting up as normal then its likely to be a faulty immobilser and could be an issue with the key fob

might be worthwhile replacing the key fob battery if you haven't already

Tried both keys, NEW key batteries as qell
Well, not qell sorry

Hello

is the dash lighting up ? do you have a flashing key light on the dash?

if the dash is not lighting up and you have a flashing key sign then its a security fault

if there's nothing at all then next check the state of the high power ( 30A+) fuses in the underbonnet fusebox and there's a very large 'pyro-fuse' that will shut down the whole car that's on the main battery connection so use a meter to measure the continuity across this as well