Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I am in Australia. I have a Jeep grand Cherokee Navigator

Customer Question

hi . I am in Australia. I have a Jeep grand Cherokee Navigator limited 2006 model WH
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: during the last 3 weeks it has happened 3 times once at about 15-20 kph and twice at about 55-60 kpm I cannot reproduce it. the suddenly feels as if it is physically cracking into two; there is a loud banging noise the whole car vibrates and the banging frequency is related to the speed I am doing in other words as I slow down so does the frequency of the bang when I stop so does the banging then I continue on my way feeling most uncertai about this vehicle
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: an auto transmission expert has ' talked to the computer' and has indicated that the torque converter has had one or two recordings and so feels the problem is this but wont know for sure till pull out the gear box then the converter send it away for pull apart and review; have converter fixed and then all put back together-- about $1500 worth.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: have you guys had any experience what so ever about this LOUD BANKing noise that is related to the speed I am doing
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If there is an internal mechanical fault with the transmission torque converter itself this can cause this fault here and it would need replaced.In some cases it can be looked at through an inspection hole for any damage seen or any discoloration but in other cases it would need removed and tested or inspected to see if it needs replaced.But a failing torque converter or even input shaft in the transmission can cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete