Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I can’t shift into drive. Don’t I only had it for 4 weeks.

Customer Question
I can’t shift into...

I can’t shift into drive

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Don’t I only had it for 4 weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Ford territory 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done nothing I don’t know what to do

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

1st thing to check is the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up and prevent it from shifting into drive

Also investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

and lastly take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer