Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Just overheated petrol holden rodeo - now won't start

Just overheated petrol holden...

Just overheated petrol holden rodeo - now won't start worried I have overheated it and blown head gasket

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

It was empty with radiator cracked fixed radiator refilled - drove home now won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Holden?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Refilling radiator - nothing else ws going to buy stop leak tomorrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It rattled a lot when hot

11/21/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What can usually happen is the cylinder walls will become damaged on some cases as well as piston rings.The cylinder head can warp and head crack in some cases and the gasket can also fail.I would have a full cylinder compression test done to see if the compression is even on all cylinders.If compression numbers for each cylinder are not within 15 psi of each other this can indicate an issue with any of these possibilities above.Also check to see if you have oil mixing with engine coolant or coolant in the oil as this is usually a tell tale sign of a head issue or head gasket or even cracked engine block.

I have had to replace engines before in the past for issues like this here when it was run so hot it cracked the radiator and the engine rattled.But you will need to have this checked/tested further to locate the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

how much would that cost
I would have the head checked/block test done to see if there is an issue found with the head or head gasket.This cost may run around $100 to $500 to check if the head needs removed for testing.
If it needs an engine you may be looking at around $2000 or more to have replaced.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.A 5 star rating is appreciated and if needed we can still continue here.Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician