Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

2015 model 3.0 d4d hilux change pull up at intersection and

Customer Question
take off when change gears...
2015 model 3.0 d4d hilux change pull up at intersection and take off when change gears sometimes stays at idle after changing. No acceleration.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Yes fuel filters are fine.vehicle has done 50000km
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Toyota hilux 4x4 sr 3.0lt diesel manual. 03/2015
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Toyota can't find problem. Vehicle is not showing any trouble codes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Throttle position sensor has been replaced. I am a ex toyota mechanic myself
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 20 days ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

I'd agree that this sounds like a throttle issue

I'd suggest the next step is to remove the intake hose onto the engine so you can see the throttle body and use some brake cleaner and a lint free rag to clean it out. then have your assistant slowly push down on the accelerator with the ignition on but engine off

whilst you watch the throttle move

it should open smoothly and slowly

if not then it may have to be replaced

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Hi matt. Cleaned throttle body. It wasn't dirty. Have been driving vehicle about and had no problems yesterday. Been driving vehicle today and twice pulled up at intersection and takening off and vehicle just losses power back to idle then will pick up after bout 5 seconds. There is no trouble codes or eng light. This may not reoccur for some time. Happened 8 times between last services.
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 18 days ago

Hello

Ok the other part of the system is the throttle pedal sensor? if you use a meter to measure the resistance of the sensor you should find two resistances 1 high and 1 low measure both whilst slowly pushing down on the pedal

one should rise and the other fall

you're checking that the resistance of each changes smoothly with no sudden steps

if it does then I'd consider replacing the throttle body on the engine

Matt, Engineer