Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Volvo xc 90 2011 diesel. car idles ok until you rev it, it…

Customer Question
Volvo xc 90 2011...

Volvo xc 90 2011 diesel . car idles ok until you rev it , it will then shut itself off and wont start . pull fuel pump relay out and put back in car will then start again . On the scan tool all fuel pressures are good no air leaks and we have tried and replaced the fuel rail sensors . A dealer we spoke to said he had a similar problem on an xc60 and he replaced the fuel rail itself and that fixed it . any ideas regards John

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

No fuel or air leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC 90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are Volvo mechanics our selves and we have done all that's listed above

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Car
11/20/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd 1st check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked