Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

When i go up a steepish the red water light comes on, i pull

when i go up a...
when i go up a steepish hill the red water light comes on, i pull over and let cool down and check the radiator. the radiator is full, oil is good so why is the light coming on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: red high temperature warning light
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2005 nissan presage, petrol, auto, 2.5cc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no im no mechanic, i went upa hill and the light was on. radiator was full of coolant. Around down and on minor hills no problem at all, why is the light coming on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i had a second hand engine installed 10 months ago
11/17/2017
Jake
Jake, Collision Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question.
If the light is coming on during heavy load then it’s an indication that the cooling system may have a problem. Since it’s only happening on steep hills then it’s likely not related to the fans or the thermostat but moreso the radiator itself. Start by making sure the radiator fins are clean and not bent, if the coolant was replaced 10 mo the ago did they use the right mixture 50/50?.
Jake
Jake, Collision Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you. ***** 2016 the same thing happened, went on a***** got up a steepish hill and warning light came on, pulled over water was actually boiling. waited 15 mins then drove off and then 20 mins later another hill another warning light pulled over, this time a mechanic helped me. Water was gone, he topped up, took the seal off the radiator cap than drove with the heater on and no problems till we reached our destination and hour later. 2 days later the return trip, this time only stopped once due the light and topped up, drive another 3 hours home no problem, there were 3 passengers and gear. Once home my mechanic did a compression test to check the head and also checked the radiator no defeat found. 9 mths later my wife was driving out of town warning light came on she stopped the car and wouldnt restart. Car was towed away and mechanic found the engine block and head totally destroyed caused by the water pump. This year January 2017 the car was replaced with a Nissan muruno engine at 100.000 kms my car had done 160,000. the car has been running like a dream. in October*****7 hours to destination with a few steepish hills with no problems and then the return trip no problems either. Then last week 4 of us and luggage had the same scenario up a hill and warning light, the difference this time was next morning checked the radiator it was full, white plastic water thing was at right level and oil was good, so how come it didnt use any coolant? Sorry for the novel
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Any more feedback Jakes? What do I ask the mechanic to do

Hey sorry for the delay. I had to have customer support open it back up so I could reply. For some reason it locked me out.

Just because to overheated does not mean it should use coolant. The coolant system is a sealed system and would only be low if it burned some because of a head gasket leak, boil over, or a visual leak. None missing is a good sign.

Since it happened under load we want to make sure the mixture is correct. If its water it won't cool, if its 50/50 it will cool properly. Additionally we need to know the fans are working. If all is working as normal and it still overheated it may be an issue with the radiator airflow for debris in the radiator. Thoroughly cleaning and combing the fins would be a good place to start if everything else is working normally.

The mechanic can run the IPDM auto-active test to verify fan operation as well.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Collision Technician