Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

We have a 2008 Corolla Accent. When the high beams are on…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a 2008 Corolla Accent. When the high beams are on the dash lights go off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have read there may be a dimmer for the dash causing the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
10/18/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like a poor ground issue.If there is a poor ground for the high beam bulbs this can cause this issue.When the high beams are on this may be causing these bulbs to pull the ground from the dash lights causing this issue.

I have also seen issues with the dimmer switch itself cause this fault.The contacts in the switch ( on models where the dimmer from low to high beam is part of the head light switch itself) will fail and causes loss of voltage to the dash lights.

This will have to be tested further to locate which component for sure is at fault then repaired from there.You may have to have the dimmer switch tested as well as grounds checked for any issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician