Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Starter motor playing up. 1 click. Hilux 05 v6 4ltr. I am…

Customer Question
Starter motor playing up ...

Starter motor playing up

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

1 click

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Hilux 05 v6 4ltr

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it my self auto elec says starter is gone I'm wondering if it is the 180mm or 221mm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Australia Car
10/16/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

before replacing the starter first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch / pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch / starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

to check the type you have fitted then measure the length of the motor

however if you're replacing it, then why not go for the larger unit anyway? as there's not much difference in price and the 221 unit has more power

AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago

Hi do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you