Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

It is making a working noise but doesn't turn over. But the…

Customer Question
It is making a...

It is making a working noise but doesn't turn over. But the fan belt still moves. Starter motor is great.

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the fan belt in? Do you know if it needs to be replaced, or just adjusted?

Whirring noise not working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It's a bit frayed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic mate is here with me. There is no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No yhanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Car
2005 Renault Megane scenic.
10/7/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if there's no spark then check that there's power to the coil pack/s using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

if you have ECU power then I'd consider replacing the crank sensor as the next item

and if this doesn't help then check the condition of the engine earth connections, the large one that runs to the block and there should also be a smaller one that runs out of the engine bay wiring loom and is secured to the engine with small bolts and ring terminals

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer