Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

Matt. back about the Porsche. Adjusted the rod to the pedal…

Hi again Matt. Jim back about...
Hi again Matt.
Jim back about the Porsche.
Adjusted the rod to the pedal but brake still comes on when driving.
I am sure it is because there is too much vacuum which is engaging the brakes without the brake pedal being engaged.
Can the vacuum from the motor be adjusted (reduced)?
The current Vacuum drum is an after market one, could this mean that the return spring in it cannot handle the vacuum pressure from the motor?
Can the vacuum be measured?
Thanks Jim
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
Matt, Engineer

Hello Jim

if the servo is an aftermarket one then yes it may be out of balance with the return spring in the master cylinder

you should be able to reduce the vacuum effort by restricting the flow to the servo

so if you add an plug into the pipe with a controlled orifice / hole in it to reduce down to 3mm from the 1/2" bore of the vacuum pipe then this would restrict the flow and should reduce overall servo effort

alternatively you could try a stronger spring inside the master cylinder to haul the main piston back to its stop

also I forget but did you try loosening the brake reservoir filler cap ? as if the cap breather is stuck then this can create a vacuum inside the cylinder as the fluid exits and again bias the cylinder the wrong way

Thanks Matt.
Will try your suggestions.
I did try loosening the brake reservoir filler cap but no change.
Thanks
Jim

understood

Tried reducing flow to servo using narrow pipe but no change.
Going back to the source of the increased vacuum, is there any adjustment or control at the motor which could lower the servo vacuum?
Jim

Hello Jim

not really they are pretty simple devices

often the only adjustment is a restrictor and a 1 way valve in the vacuum line to the servo

have you tried clamping off the servo hose entirely to see if this helps the issue?

also how narrow was the pipe you tried as you'll need to restrict the flow down to about 3mm

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer