Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 rav4 cruiser rattles on cold start, but comes good.

Customer Question
2002 rav4 cruiser rattles...

2002 rav4 cruiser rattles on cold start, but comes good. Sometimes rattles for a short while while driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It sounds like Hydraulic lifters with no oil in them. been doing it for 12 months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have had it to three mechanics so far, still no satisfaction. is this a common problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have tried constant oil changes, am using full synthetic oil.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Car
10/4/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This most likely means the timing chain or tensioner is worn. Lifters would cause more of a ticking noise. Try to see if noise is coming from top of engine or side of engine, if side of engine behind timing cover this would point toward timing chain. I would recommend removing drive belt to see if noise stops, if not replace chain and tensioner. This is about a 5 hour job and $200 in parts. Let me know if you have questions or would like instructions to replace yourself, thanks.

Rattle is coming from the top of the engine
Is it possible the the oil pump is worn and losing its prime momentarily.

The timing chain could be rattling at the cam sprockets so I would check to see if noise seems to be top side of engine or center of engine. If center of engine then you are likely looking at lifters. Next step would be to disable each cylinder 1 at at time and seeing which one stops the noise the most, then just replace those lifters. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

It is normal for vehicle to lose prime if it sits for a long period but everything should still be tight enough to not rattle even without being primed. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Could it have anything to do with the variable valve timing.
Have you heard of this problem before.
are you still there

Yes I have seen problem and it wouldn't be related to variable timing, if so the check engine light would be on. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

The engine light is not on.

Then that would point toward timing chain/tensioner problem or lifters but lifters wouldn't make a rattle noise so I think your timing chain/tensioner is the problem. Next step is to see if noise happens with drive belt removed if so check to see if chain feels loose. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

AU Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician