Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 VW Transport - intermittent rough idle (like a misfire)

Customer Question
2007 VW Transport -...

2007 VW Transport - intermittent rough idle (like a misfire) - only happens every now and then - sometimes when happens and engine is turned off there is a whirling the of noise under the bonnet ? - any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 VW?

Yes T5 Diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried yet - I wanted to research first

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Has an oil leak too - on right side of engine - when looking in from bonnet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Car
9/30/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd start by check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

then try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no acc**t touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

Thanks for your advice, I changed the oil and filter and rear brake pads since my post. When under bonnet I disconnected the intake hose from the turbo and found oil inside - I would thin there should be no oil in there and this would mean turbo seals - would it be possible that this oil on the intake side causes problems also with the sensors ? - I found the whiting noise also as the plastic filler for the windscreen washer bottle had come loose and was sitting close to the fan.Would appreciate your further thoughts with this insight - is it necessary to remove and replace the turbo now or can I leave it for now until it deteriorates further - the oil level has maintained its level throughout and no excessive smoke ?

Hello

thanks for the extra information, yes if there's oil in the intake post turbo then it does point to a failing turbo oil seal and this can pollute the exhaust O2 sensor and give issues

Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal