Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Loss of power sometimes 2001 ml270. Ml270 diesel. No fault…

Customer Question
Loss of power sometimes...

Loss of power sometimes 2001 ml270

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Mercedes?

Ml270 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

No fault codes come up when we plug it in

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

350000kms

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mechanic doesn't no

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Car
9/29/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank, especially as the ML is prone to this

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

you may have to replace the pump is you have less than 3 bar pressure at the engine

I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you