Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 Ford Escape overheated last week. The roadside

Customer Question
Hi,my 2004 Ford Escape overheated...
Hi,my 2004 Ford Escape overheated last week. The roadside assist guy told me I should get a coolant flush before adding more coolant to the water we put into the system in the meantime. Is it necessary to get a coolant flush or just add coolant if it starts to get low?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 10 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You should drain the coolant and add fresh coolant and water. But you also need to locate the cause of the overheating problem. If not, engine damage can occur.

We've worked out the problem with the overheating, and we should have it sorted out. Do I have to drain it absolutely or simply keep topping it up? Will it damage the engine if I don't?

You do not want to run almost straight water in the cooling system, especially your engine which is aluminum and cast iron. I would open the drain on the radiator and allow it to drain out. Then put new coolant and then water into the system.