Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Trying to solve a problem with 98 3ltr TD, Its been to evry

Customer Question

trying to solve a problem with 98 3ltr TD, Its been to evry supposed expert, wiring and a sensor replaced. 1000k later a new head, radiator, glow plugs, alternator. After picking up I drove it around and said to the garage it doesnt have any go, he assured me turbo was working. eventually looked up the circuitry for vac pipe connections, it was completely wrong and egr was connected to map????. so connected everything as book and suddenly feels like I have a race V8 under the bonnet. Only problem is under an sort of load lots of black smoke. And more alarmingly at cold startup, after a few seconds idle clouds of grey smoke out of exhaust accompanied by missfire and pinking. This does clear up in 500mtrs or so and then back to clouds of black. Economy isnt bac but i am sure only because you have to drive like draing pins in the shoes as the set of from start snaps the neck, such is the throttle response. Any suggetions>
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: The sensor that was replaced first cured it cutting out after 10mins. All the seals in the delivery system were changed and it ran fine untill the steam train problem 1000k later which resulted in all new head and!
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 98. has now just made 300000k
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No experience on dieselanything so havent ventured there myself. 40 years with British petrol things
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 29 days ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, have you smelled the exhaust to see if it smells like raw diesel fuel or oil?

Have you checked the oil to see if it is overfull and diluted?

And I need the last 8 of the vin to see if I have the schematics for it