Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Last it was stuck in park and would not shift into gear my…

Customer Question
Good morning last it...

Good morning last it was stuck in park and would not shift into gear my son came and removed the cover and said he just pull it and started working but when I got home I could not remove the key

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Yes brake switch is ok trans is 2005 s60

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I drove is home last night after son remove the cover and pull it out of park but when got could not removed the key so I disconnected the battery and locked with spare key

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Australia Car
9/21/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

this sounds like there's a problem with the interlock cable mechanism that runs between the gear selector lever and the ignition switch

I'd remove the shifter cover and look for a white plastic piece which is connected to the ignition/shift interlock cable and which locks the shifter in Park when the key is not in the ignition and also locks the key in the ignition when the shifter is not in the Park position

this cable can seize in either the locked or unlocked position.

check that it all moves smoothly and you may have to replace the cable

but often all it needs is tightening up as it can be adjusted at the shifter end

and check that the button on the shifter lever isn't sticking in place as they can get bunged up over the years

also check that the shifter button on the lever isn't sticking in too as they can become sticky over the years and a little silicon spray into the button socket can really help keep it moving freely