Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Ford Ranger 2.2 rider 2014 model and I have just…

Customer Question
I have a Ford Ranger...
I have a Ford Ranger 2.2 Hi rider 2014 model and I have just changed my oil and oil filter. At present everything is going fine and I have no issues after driving about 20 minutes, all is well.I was having a conversation with a guy at work and I explained that I have just changed my oil and he advised me that there was an issue with the oil pump in this model. I did some research and there is a problem with the 3.6 engines but there is nothing about the 2.2. The problems are related to after an oil change, the oil pump does not prime and the engine starves of oil and it destroys itself.I replaced my oil filter and changed the oil in just under 10 minutes. I did my fuel and air filter as well. There have been no engine or oil lights and everything seems to be running just fine.Can you please advise if a standard oil change to a 2.2 diesel engine will not affect the priming of the oil pump. If there is, can you please advise ASAP as I am going for a long drive this weekend and I do not want my engine to seize up after a simple oil change. If it needs to be primed, please advise how I am to do it.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Technically all engines should be primed when doing a oil change but it really doesn't matter as they can handle running dry for 5 seconds and it isn't much different then starting vehicle after it sits for a day. To prime a engine you would want to disable fuel such as fuel pump relay or injector fuse and then turn engine over for 10 seconds. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

As I do not have any engine lights come up and it all appears OK, do I assume that is it all right?

Yes you are fine, you would be showing a problem immediately if there was one. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.