Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege 323. I had it stored for a

Customer Question
friend outside and drove it...
I have a 2000 Mazda Protege 323. I had it stored for a friend outside and drove it once a week to keep it maintanted and running. One night when I went to start it, I had crank but no start. There is no spark and the fuel pump doesn’t turn on to pressurize the system when I turn the key. When I jump the relay, the fuel pump turns on and it all seems to be working, but without a spark the car still won’t run! Another mechanic told me it was my ecu- so I replaced that and still doesn’t work. Then I replaced the crank position sensor and still to no avail. I’ve taken the fuse box out and cleaned all the connections as well as all electrical connections under the hood! I have no clue where to go from here!
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Car
I also replaced the fuel pump relay
9/14/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

No I haven’t. The mechanic said the diagnostic codes usually from these cars don’t tell you much. I don’t believe the check engine light is even on.

It would be a good idea to have the codes checked just to see if any codes are set even if the light is not on,there may be a code set related to this issue here.

What I have seen though that can fail and can cause this fault here is an issue with the electronic ignition switch itself.The ignition switch will fail internally with one or more of its contacts failing to send voltage out of one or more of its contacts and causes a fault like this here.This can cut power to the pump and ignition components.

If you have not had this switch tested this should be done to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Okay. Would it help to say that we’ve tried bump starting it and that didn’t work either? Just because when I had a truck without a broken ignition switch we bump started it and it worked fine. This one doesn’t.
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You opted out the person helping, preventing further communication. Did you no longer need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician