Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Ran OK, parked up overnight and now wont start, cranking OK…

Customer Question
Ran OK, parked up...

Ran OK, parked up overnight and now wont start, cranking OK and plenty of spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

It appears as if no fuel is getting through, plenty in tank

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

I think it is a 1992 3000v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only tried researching common faults o net as the vehicle is parked remote from my location and need to have a few ideas in hand before I go to retrieve it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, other than exhaust does not smell of fuel after heaps of cranking over

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Car
9/14/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you