Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

Key stuck in ignition the past few days won't go back or

Customer Question

Key stuck in ignition the past few days won't go back or forward. Tried to jiggle steering wheel and park gear shifter button on shifter. Car stuck in park tried to push the shift lock release button-down but that is stuck. Car is Hyundai i40 2011
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Key is OK I changed the key last nigh to the spare which has until now never been used
JA: Are you fixing your J-Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried what I sent in the first message. Not sure what a j car is
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's 10 22 pm where I am and the power appears to be on auxiliary. I am stuck on the side if the road. Do I need to disconnect battery tonight if its cannot get this vehicle moving
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

what have you done so far

there a shift interlock solenoid under shifter you need to check ? when press brake pedal do you hear it clicking ti release the shifter

do you have a capable scanner to read Hyundai fault codes ?

did you check battery for 12 volts ?

are the brake lights working ?

Did you try a master reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know & we go from there

Thank You

Chad Farhat

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat