Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

My car is coming up with code u042864, it is a volvo xc90

Customer Question

hi my car is coming up with code u042864
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: it is a volvo xc90 2009
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am a mechanic myself the code reads
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: u042864 invalid data received from steering angle sensor module signal plausibility failure
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

The Steering Angle Sensor, or the SAS, is the clockspring assembly that also provides data for the traction and stability control system. You will need to pull the steering wheel and replace it. There is a calibration procedure that is supposed to be performed by centering the SAS sensor, and turning the steering wheel 15 degrees to the left, then 15 degrees to the right , but I have replaced them without doing this and the system will figure out on it's on where the centerline is. Replace this sensor and clear the code and you should be good to go. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

It should be part number 31313084, but refer to the number on your old one for reference. Thank you.