Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

The cas is a 2004 beetle cabriolet. The top goes down but

Customer Question
Hello, The cas is a...
Hello, The cas is a 2004 beetle cabriolet. The top goes down but the two flaps, either side, do not close. So, pull the red string to release a lever to put the top up manually. Is this common? Thank uou
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, have put up with it. Don't get the top down very often but would more if it worked properly
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a red string either side that pulls a lever to, I presume, release the electric mechanism so it can be lifted manualy. One of the strings are broken so I've made a hook the release the lever.......even more inconvenient. Don't know if that's relevant.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Car
9/6/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like an issue with a faulty micro switch/position switch sending an incorrect signal on what position part of the roof is in.This will cause the roof to operate incorrectly or not at all.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then needs to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.The scan tool is also needed to observe the micro switch signals to locate any at fault sending a false signal needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician