Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Changed fuel filter on my cx5 diesel 2012 it doesn't seem to

Changed fuel filter on my cx5 diesel 2012 it doesn't seem to have a priming plunger on anything. I fitted the filter it started then died now I can't get it to fire again

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hi Luke,

Turn the key on for 5 seconds, off for 5 seconds for 5 cycles.

This should run the intank pump to refill the filter.

The engine should then start and run normally.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Gary thanks for that. It is a start button car as well I've done a few things along them lines an still does not fire I even pulled back out the battery to get to the filter an I pulled it out an it is full of fuel

Ok, it probably still has air between the filter and the hp pump.

Keep cycling the start button 5 on, 5 off, ignition on only, no brake pedal, so the engine doesn't crank for a few more cycles.

Then try to start it.

Was it running ok before changing the fuel filter?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah was running fine then I changed the filter an now this has happened

Yes ok, can you try as above please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried that it just kept cranking an no fire

Everthing plugged in after removal of the filter?

How many kms on this engine?

How about 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off 5 times?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everything plugged in fine. Can't seem to hear a pump running or anything

Hi Luke,

You'll need a friend to help you here.

One to turn on the ignition, one to listen to the fuel tank filler neck for the fuel pump.

Can you try this?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I open the fuse box there is no fuse in the fuel pump spot. Does this model of car not require one?

I think it should have, but Mazda is strange in this respect.

Every other electronic Diesel I know has an in tank pump.

Possibly it needs this procedure, from another thread:

Spoke to the dealer that said they use a vacuum pump to encourage the fuel through the filter. What I did:

Took the filter assembly back off the car using 678hug's excellent instructions

Unscrewed the cartridge and and filled it to the brim with diesel.

Reattached the cartridge to the filter

Poured diesel into the 'in' of the filter until it flowed from the out

Attached an old hand pump (which I'd bought and never used from B&Q to pump rust inhibitor into a radiator) to the hose(marked red) on the car that would be attached to the input of the filter and pumped until fuel appeared. Something purpose built like http://www.drapertools.com/product/43986/Expert-Diesel-Priming-Pump might do the job better

Reattached the 'in' hose(marked red) to the filter trying not to let too much air in!

Attached the pump to the out of the filter and pumped until fuel appeared (to fill the filter)

Followed the hose(marked white) away from the filter up to where it joins the top of the engine and disconnected it from the engine

Used the pump to pump diesel into this hose to fill it from the end that would be connected the filter

When fuel appeared at the end of the hose at the engine I quickly fitted the hose to the top of the engine then to the filter

Turned the ignition on and waited 30s - not sure if this would help to pump diesel to where it needed to be

After 2 or 3 presses of the Start button (with my fingers crossed) the engine started.

Gary