Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

My car is reving out in 4th gear and it jumps from 3rd to…

Hi my car is reving...
Hi my car is reving out in 4th gear and it jumps from 3rd to 4th
I'm only the second owner and I look after it but I do give it a trash every now and then
8/12/2017
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hi Greg,

What do mean revving out in 4th gear?

Do you mean the trans is slipping?

Does the engine light come on?

Have you checked the transmission level, engine running in park?

Gary

Fliud was fine and yeah it slips the check light comes on when I'm doing around 110 but its reving at 4500 when it used to rev at about 2500 at 110

Hi Gregg,

The first thing you need to do is avoid driving at this speed while this slipping is occurring.

We need to get the code that is set.

Hopefully it is not too late to save the transmission.

I've replaced many transmission internal harnesses for similar issues.

Gary

It drives fine in 1-2-3 but 3-4 is bad its fine in town but on the high way no good
Could a trans swap fix it or will that not solve the problem I have a spare

Is the spare a good runner?

If it is, I would drop the pan, replace the internal harness, and filter.

Gary

Yeah it's a runner
And will do thanks for the help

You are welcome Gregg.

Wishing you a speedy repair.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic