Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

2006 wrx, -car cranks but won't start -power to coils and

Customer Question

2006 wrx, -car cranks but won't start -power to coils and injectors, but no pulse -Main fan stays on when ignition is switched on -mobile mechanic and a friend who both have decent scanners couldn't read the ecu -pin out on data connection may not be standard -when ignition is turned to the ON position, fuel pump will only prime if mad sensor is disconnected -oil pressure light and check engine light are all that stays illuminated. Check engine light is constant (doesn't blink) -keyless entry stopped working, even after I replaced the battery I've gone through and checked most earth connections and even added extra ones. The battery has been disconnect regularly to put on charge, I've tried to do a ecu reset hopping it would clear the fault and recalibrate. But no luck The car has an exhaust which starts just behind the front wheels, a walbro fuel pump and the previous owner has jumped and spliced a number of wires that connect to the ecu. Some connectors have been spliced in for ecu mapping I'm guessing I'm wondering if the ecu is faulty, but under close inspection I can't visually see any damage.or maybe it can't re calibrate because of all the jumped and spliced wires.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to check wiring and fuses, used multimeter to check some relays and sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Does your WRX have the Brandt Key pad alarm added?

Does the engine light come on when you turn on the ignition?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its been taken out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The alarm has been disconnected and disabled.Yes the engine light comes on with ignition
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

I think your best bet is a tuner like MRT or Chiptorque, who know Subaru aftermarket wiring. I don't know what is added to your car unfortunately.

More than likely the ECM is not seeing a crank sensor signal.

First thing to do now is get a scan tool to communicate.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can i just hotwire scanner directly into ecu connector for wiring harness?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im thinking about reversing the wiring mods to standard configuration. But i dont want to get stuck on somethi g half way through and mess things up more lol
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Putting all the wiring back to stock would be a good start.

Have you checked all the fuses are ok?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah ive been continually checking the fuses and relays.The main radiator fan turns on when my ignition is turned on. It wont turn off till the ignition is turned off.Can you help me pinpoint the cause please.Ive sprayed connections with contact cleaner and checked the relays i could identify.My keyless enty has stopped working also, maybe you could point me i the right direction with that also please.Ive downloaded workshop manual and printed out the docs i need.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like a key issue.

You have central locking and immobilser both not accepting the key.

Do you have a Subaru dealer near you?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They key bottoms will not work. Central locking works when inserting the key into the lock.The flashing key on the instrument cluster instantly stops when the key is switched to accessories
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok, so the immobilizer is reading the key ok, if the flashing light turns off.

Can you change the battery in your remote to see if that is the cause of your remote locking not working?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already replaced the battery and tried that
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok.

Are you going to get all the wiring back to stock?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its looking that way. Im going to try and piggy back a spare obd port i had kicking around dirrectly into the ecu to try and bring up something first..
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok, sounds like you are under way.

The fan coming on says it is in diagnostic mode.

Are the green or white connectors under the steering column connected together or not?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats the thing. The green connectors arent connected under the dash or behind the kick plate on passenger side.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Did it give you any sign of trouble the last time you drove it?

How long has it been like this now?

That doesn't sound good fans stuck on like that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think the a sensor in the exhaust was on its way out because it started running really rich. Seemed like clouds of unbunrt fuel coming out of the exhaust
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked the timing belt?

Are you using an oiled air filter like K&N?

The front O2 sensor is a wideband air fuel ratio sensor, they don't usually give much trouble.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was running fine when I parked it.It's a repco air filter.I only had the car a week when this happened.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Have you only just bought this car?

I'd say the previous owner knew there was a problem.

How hard do you drive it?

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't drive it very hard at all because i realised pretty much straight after I purchased it that I was going to sell it.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

I think you will need to take it to a Subaru tuner, since what ever mods are done to it are beyond the scope of this type of help.

I own a Evo 5 wrx myself.

Gary

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got any advice to hook up an obd port directly to ecu?Any tips on getting the inbuilt diagnostic cel code display to work please.Come on gary!!! Give me something mate
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Is a bit odd the factory obd2 port doesn't work.

I see 2006 manuals in here as a zip file:

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

I'll have a bit more of a look when I get home tonight.

Gary