Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

2006 wrx, -car cranks but won't start -power to coils and…

Customer Question
2006 wrx, -car...

2006 wrx, -car cranks but won't start -power to coils and injectors, but no pulse -Main fan stays on when ignition is switched on -mobile mechanic and a friend who both have decent scanners couldn't read the ecu -pin out on data connection may not be standard -when ignition is turned to the ON position, fuel pump will only prime if mad sensor is disconnected -oil pressure light and check engine light are all that stays illuminated. Check engine light is constant (doesn't blink) -keyless entry stopped working, even after I replaced the battery I've gone through and checked most earth connections and even added extra ones. The battery has been disconnect regularly to put on charge, I've tried to do a ecu reset hopping it would clear the fault and recalibrate. But no luck The car has an exhaust which starts just behind the front wheels, a walbro fuel pump and the previous owner has jumped and spliced a number of wires that connect to the ecu. Some connectors have been spliced in for ecu mapping I'm guessing I'm wondering if the ecu is faulty, but under close inspection I can't visually see any damage.or maybe it can't re calibrate because of all the jumped and spliced wires.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to check wiring and fuses, used multimeter to check some relays and sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 2 days by:
8/5/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Does your WRX have the Brandt Key pad alarm added?

Does the engine light come on when you turn on the ignition?

Gary

Its been taken out
The alarm has been disconnected and disabled.Yes the engine light comes on with ignition

I think your best bet is a tuner like MRT or Chiptorque, who know Subaru aftermarket wiring. I don't know what is added to your car unfortunately.

More than likely the ECM is not seeing a crank sensor signal.

First thing to do now is get a scan tool to communicate.

Gary

Can i just hotwire scanner directly into ecu connector for wiring harness?
Im thinking about reversing the wiring mods to standard configuration. But i dont want to get stuck on somethi g half way through and mess things up more lol

Putting all the wiring back to stock would be a good start.

Have you checked all the fuses are ok?

Gary

Yeah ive been continually checking the fuses and relays.The main radiator fan turns on when my ignition is turned on. It wont turn off till the ignition is turned off.Can you help me pinpoint the cause please.Ive sprayed connections with contact cleaner and checked the relays i could identify.My keyless enty has stopped working also, maybe you could point me i the right direction with that also please.Ive downloaded workshop manual and printed out the docs i need.

Sounds like a key issue.

You have central locking and immobilser both not accepting the key.

Do you have a Subaru dealer near you?

Gary

They key bottoms will not work. Central locking works when inserting the key into the lock.The flashing key on the instrument cluster instantly stops when the key is switched to accessories

Ok, so the immobilizer is reading the key ok, if the flashing light turns off.

Can you change the battery in your remote to see if that is the cause of your remote locking not working?

Gary

I already replaced the battery and tried that

Ok.

Are you going to get all the wiring back to stock?

Gary

Its looking that way. Im going to try and piggy back a spare obd port i had kicking around dirrectly into the ecu to try and bring up something first..

Ok, sounds like you are under way.

The fan coming on says it is in diagnostic mode.

Are the green or white connectors under the steering column connected together or not?

Gary

Thats the thing. The green connectors arent connected under the dash or behind the kick plate on passenger side.

Did it give you any sign of trouble the last time you drove it?

How long has it been like this now?

That doesn't sound good fans stuck on like that.

I think the a sensor in the exhaust was on its way out because it started running really rich. Seemed like clouds of unbunrt fuel coming out of the exhaust

Have you checked the timing belt?

Are you using an oiled air filter like K&N?

The front O2 sensor is a wideband air fuel ratio sensor, they don't usually give much trouble.

Gary

It was running fine when I parked it.It's a repco air filter.I only had the car a week when this happened.

Have you only just bought this car?

I'd say the previous owner knew there was a problem.

How hard do you drive it?

Gary

I didn't drive it very hard at all because i realised pretty much straight after I purchased it that I was going to sell it.

I think you will need to take it to a Subaru tuner, since what ever mods are done to it are beyond the scope of this type of help.

I own a Evo 5 wrx myself.

Gary

Got any advice to hook up an obd port directly to ecu?Any tips on getting the inbuilt diagnostic cel code display to work please.Come on gary!!! Give me something mate

Is a bit odd the factory obd2 port doesn't work.

I see 2006 manuals in here as a zip file:

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

I'll have a bit more of a look when I get home tonight.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic