Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

EL occasionally over the last couple of trand drops down to…

Customer Question
EL occasionally over the...

EL occasionally over the last couple of trand drops down to second ~4500rpm at highway speeds at low - mediam throttle and stays there until it feels like going back into top some times a few seconds sometimes near a minute.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

EL 1997 6cyl Falcon 330,000k's.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Falcon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trans is now not locking up at sitting over 2k at 100kph. Also shifting "T"bar D321 any position makes no difference will go through all gears wile 1st is selected. Original thought was TPS int fault telling ECU it is in full throttle, I now think the control system is receiving and or sending bad signals.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

I keep pressing return/enter for a lew line which sends message prematurely.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is an Australian built EL Ford. am a mechanic 20years Toyota experiance but know nothing much of these trans or control systems . I have not yet tried to extract trans or engine codes . There is no oil leaks . was servised over 100,000 ago when extention housing bush (tail shaft youlk bush )was replaced . The Nill efect of the "T"bar has got me . P R N position/safty switch inc rev lights are OK.I keep trying to figure it out in my head . The drop down to second on the freeway may not happen for many months and then a few times on a trip , however I think the Trans would be up to full temperature . Regards Des.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Car
7/31/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sound slike a fault with the transmission/gear box control unit/ecu needing replaced.I have seen some of these fail in the past before and causes erratic shifting issues intermittently.The first thing that needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all codes.If any codes are set those codes will help to diagnose and pinpoint this issue here.

But with the erratic behavior here this does sound to be the control unit/ecu at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete