Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Craig from Australia here. Have an NL Pajero petrol 3.5

Customer Question

Hi, Craig from Australia here. Have an NL Pajero petrol 3.5 litre V6. Have a cold start issue.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No, had an issue with an erratic idle. Between 200 and 1200 rpm regardless of engine temp. Fitted new Idle Speed Controller and cleaned throttle body. Still no good. figured it may be the Mass Air Flow sensor so tried one from another car. idle now even but does not sense cold temp and idles at 400 on cold start.
JA: What year is your Pajero?
Customer: 1997
JA: Are you fixing your Pajero yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Please read previous response.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What is the cost of this service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Mitsubishi Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: How much is the rest?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the engine coolant temp sensor was not replaced this can cause this fault here.If the temp sensor is sending a false signal this issue occurs here.If this was already replaced let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This car is also known as the Montero in your country. It has the 6g74 sohc engine. It is a manual. The elec temp sensor tests ok as does the idle speed controller. Could it be the fast idle thermo valve in the throttle body? It seems the idle doesn't rise for cold start. Are they adjustable? Thanks. Craig.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

My info doesnt show if this idle valve is adjustable but it is possible that this valve is sticking/failing causing this fault here needing replaced as an assembly.Usually the electronic computer controlled engines do not have an idle adjustment and when an idle issue occurs this indicates a fault needing repaired.It is very possible this idle valve needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete