Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

I was reading this forum and found this: Ray, The TPS is the

Customer Question
I was reading this forum...
I was reading this forum and found this:
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Ray, The TPS is the throttle position sensor located on the side of the throttle body. The computer sends out 5 volts to the TPS with the key on. This is a good check to ensure that the computer is "awake" with the key on. If there is no 5 volt reference to the computer with the key on, then the computer is not awake and the engine will not start and run.
JA: Does the vehicle hesitate during acceleration? Or maybe speed up suddenly when you aren't even hitting the gas?
Customer: It is a 2003 Holden rodeo with a v6 3.5 hitachi. It won't start there is one fault code that the tps has low voltage. It only has 2.2 volts. There is no spark and only pumps fuel when it first turns on.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am yes, I have checked fuses, checked relays,checked for codes, only throttle position sensor signal low voltage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
7/24/2017
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

What codes are set in the ECM?

Gary

Throttle position sensor low voltage. It only has 2 volts supply voltage at the throttle position sensor
The vehicle turns over but won't start. It has no spark and only gives fuel pressure when it is first turns on. It doesn't appear to have any blown fuses

So with the key on, one wire has 2v, (which should be 5v), one has a good ground, and the 3rd is the signal wire?

Do you have access to a good scan tool?

Gary

That is correct. I do have a good scan tool yes
It only has 2volts supply voltage, the throttle position sensor seems to be working fine I can get variable voltage from the signal wire. But it still has no spark of fuel pressure.

Ok. Can you display engine data with your scan tool?

I'll see what else is connected to the 5v reference for the TPS, like mAF etc.

Gary

I can yes, with the throttle flat to the floor the throttle percentage is 33%. If you could show me the wiring schematic it would be much appreciated too.

Hi again,

While you have your voltmeter on the 5v wire, can you disconnect the coolant temp sensor, and then the MAF, and then the cam sensor to see if the 5v comes back?

Finding a circuit diagram is a little difficult at the moment, but I'll keep looking for you.

Gary

5 volts supply to all sensors other than tps

Ok, is that with the TPS connected or not?

I have disconnected both the cam and the tps and checked it and with the cam shaft sensor plug disconnected it has 5 volts. Id the camshaft sensor supposed to have one 5volt supply, a earth and a signal? Because there are two lots of 5 volt supply to the camshaft plug

That's interesting.

The tps 5v is there with the cam sensor disconnected correct?

When did this fault occur?

Sounds like the cam sensor might be faulty.

Gary

It has two lots of 5volt supply to the cam shaft sensor I think it is a short in the harness

That was my next suggestion.

I would disconnect the ECM, then check for a short between the cam sensor wires.

I have had shorted harness wiring in Rodeo and Jackaroo V6 previously.

Rodeo does have poor multisplice crimp issues in the LH side of the harness.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic