Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  own shop 25yrs
14541291

I have a 93 Buick Regal with 3.8L. Stopped and got gas and

Customer Question

I have a 93 Buick Regal with 3.8L. Stopped and got gas and car would not start. No click. Nothing. After 20 minutes or so it started right up. Figured it was bad starter solenoid so I replaced starter (new not rebuilt). Seemed all was good but couple days later it did exact same thing. After setting for 15-20 minutes it starts right up. Checked battery ground cable and it is just fine. Am thinking ignition switch but it's starting up fine right now. Am wondering if there is some kind of temperature deal that when it's hot for some reason it won't start until it sets for awhile. It has not failed to start if it sits for long periods
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: Not that I've noticed
JA: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to do everything myself and was planning on taking to my mechanic but want to fix it if I'm able
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

it doesnt have anything to stop it from cranking by temperature..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you recommend I try next?

from the way you explain the problem,it sounds as if it is electrical..

you need tomake sure the battery cables are tight and clean at all 4 points..

the battery + and - the starter+ and the engine -..

be sure to clean the - at the engine ,

also check the switch wire that connects to the starter..this is the small purple wire that connects to the solenoid.

a bad connection like this can loose connection when it gets hot

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done all that All electrical connections look good. Baffled by how after sitting for awhile it will suddenly start

the heat will cause a bad connection not to connect..

did you make sure the ground from the battery is tight and clean at the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is clean. No corrosion andcis tight
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have to head out to a funeral so I will have to continue this later. Is ignition a possibility? It seems a stretch to me.

yes..the switch itself is possible