Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

1999 Mitsubsihi Pajero automatic will not change up from

Customer Question

1999 Mitsubsihi Pajero automatic will not change up from first gear in normal drive mode, or in the power mode.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Mitsubishi Cannington put in a new second hand gear box three days ago and told us it had done 190,000k The problem is still exactly the same. In the Hold mode it starts in second gear and changes up normally. Not in the other two modes.
JA: Are you fixing your Pajero yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried restarting, checked fluid levels, checcked everything under the car. Finally took it to Mitsubishi who prescribed a new gear box for $8,000. Couldn't afford that so they installed the second hand one.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really but Mitsubishi Cannington have had the car for 9 days and not solved the problem.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

If you have not done so, I need you to test drive and put the shifter in the lowest gear and manually shift it up thru the gears to drive while you accelerate and see if it does. If it does, then likely this is an electronic issue, likely the transmission control module

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It won't shit manually up through the gears either with the original gear box or now, with the replacement gear box. Are you experienced with automatic transmissions? Kerry *****